As mediation becomes the go-to option for resolving disputes and restoring relationships, dispute resolution practitioners must equip themselves with the relevant craft to represent their clients in a mediation. Counsel must be able to advise and advocate for their clients in a mediation just as effectively as they would in other forums for dispute resolution.
Mediation advocacy is different from the traditional methods of advocacy and involves a significant change in thinking, approach and skills. This programme facilitates the necessary paradigm shifts and imparts the requisite strategies and skills for effective mediation advocacy across a range of disputes – especially those that arise in an international, cross-border setting.
You will gain:
– Ability to make the most out of mediation for you and your client;
– Comprehension of the main principles of mediation, suitability of mediation, and the mediation landscape;
– General knowledge expected of mediation advocates;
– Understanding of the roles for mediation advisors and advocates at each stage of mediation;
– Strategies and tools for preparing for a mediation with the client;
– Familiarity with processes and skill-sets for mediation advisors and advocates;
– Understanding of the common risks and power dynamics in mediation and how to deal with them;
– Awareness of the ethical issues and legal and regulatory framework(s) for mediation.
Pathway to SIDRA accreditation and certification with the International Mediation Institute*
Who Should Attend
Lawyers, in-house counsel and other professional advisors interested in offering their clients better service in managing and resolving their disputes.